Saturday, September 27, 2008

Chetan Bhagat's The 3 mistakes of my life

Chetan Bhagat's The 3 mistakes of my life is another of the "pot boilers" (Yeah. The Sidney Sheldon kind. I'd rather call 'em time pass stuff.) that are gripping yes, but are too shallow and simplistic in content(Well, if you think there's any!). The plot has every ingredient that might appeal to the masses ranging from cricket to love (not platonic) to Godhra riots!! This was what pissed me off but at the same time managed to glue me to continue reading it. Sounds oxymoronic, ain't it? I was enjoying ( or may be making fun of it) every bit of it. The novel begins with a suicide attempt scene in a hospital a la Five point someone( I don't know about One night@ call center. Haven't read it). There's also the obligatory "making love" scene. It was all in the five point someone mould. Too childish, too amateurish. The thing that infuriated me the most was the simplistic presentation of the Godhra riots. It was pretty cheap, clearly based on the stereotypes at best and lacked conviction. And the fact that I read this novel immediately after a well written piece like Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges' The Garden of Forking Paths made me frown upon this . Seems like Chetan Bhagat will never grow up. Or may be he doesn't want to. Because then he won't be able to manage a pre-publishing order of 2 lakh copies of the book. Clearly, it is the IIM-A grad in him that's calling the shots, not the writer.

No comments: